Kevin has worked for some of the world's leading brands in an international career that took him outside the United States for nearly 18 years working and living in Australia, Sweden, and the UK during which he billed time in more than 30 countries.
His passion is strengthening and enhancing the connection between people and brands - building brands with purpose from the inside out; creating powerful brand platforms go to market strategies; crafting highly-impactful employer brands; infusing brand into every facet of a business strategy and operations; and using brand as a way to drive transformation inside organizations and with their key stakeholders.
A graduate of the Georgetown University Institute of Political Journalism (IPJ 1988), he holds an MA in Social Science from the University of Denver and recently completed IDEO U's Certificate in Design Thinking.
Kevin has written two popular books on brand and talent: Brand & Talent and The Talent Journey, in addition to numerous papers and Branding Strategy Insider articles. He also wrote the chapter on Advanced Employee Engagement for the authoritative Gower Handbook on Internal Communication.
His work includes leading the agency-side team rebranding one of the Big 4 consultancies after helping create an employer brand for them that remains in use' crafting employer brands for the world's leading soft drinks company in Europe and China; and helping executive teams navigate and drive significant transformations such as consolidating clinical development cultures across three continents for a Pharma company, and helping to define and drive a "best of breed" culture for a newly formed global media network. He has also helped clients stand up new go to market platforms for consulting services in cloud computing, analytics and AI, audit, and digital customer experience marketing.
Kevin's a great listener and always asks powerful questions. His ability to get under the skin of complex problems and form strong relationships with clients quickly is almost legendary. He has worked for/with Coca-Cola, Deloitte, EY, KPMG, PwC, Barclays, Vodafone, MorganStanley, Kellogg's, Syngenta, AstraZeneca, GSK, Vimpelcom, UPC and many others.
Some interesting facts about Kevin:
- He's a songwriter, bassist/guitarist who was signed to Some Bizarre records in London in the early 200s and still performs and produces music
- Kevin always seems to land in leadership roles without seeking them - president of his high school class, board positions in professional organizations, social chairman, university newspaper entertainment editor, business competition judge. He is learning to get better at saying "No," too
- He loves the outdoors - fly fishing and hunting in Montana (ask about his two-elk season) but is also an animal lover and dotes on his Bombay cat, Bella
- Perhaps related to that, his Great Uncle was Colonel Tom Shanton - The Laramie Kid, raised by Indians and winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor
- He was an amateur motorcycle racer and has ridden the legendary tracks of the UK (Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Donington Park, and Silverstone)
- He makes his home in Portland, Oregon