Robert is a renowned expert in helping brands strategically accelerate growth. A creative brand strategist and concept activator, he brings 26 years of brand extension, strategic partnership development, intellectual property rights management, licensing, marketing, product & content development, and buying experience to client engagements. He has achieved success in both entrepreneurial and established corporate environments. At The Blake Project, he serves as Chief Brand Extension & Licensing Strategist and assists clients with strategic brand partnership strategy.
Prior to joining The Blake Project, Robert served Vice President, Licensing & Sponsorship at CONSOR Intellectual Asset Management where he assisted clients with brand monetization strategy, valuation and licensing services. Key initiatives included valuing the licensing programs of two world famous and deceased celebrities, patent monetization, and co-presenting educational seminars at prestigious New York City law firms as part of the Licensing Executives Society Continuing Licensing Education program.
Before CONSOR, Robert served as Vice President, Licensing & WPP Liaison at WME/IMG where he managed the strategic partnership with WPP helping clients with brand extension, strategic partnership development and brand licensing.
At Jarden Outdoor Solutions Robert served as Vice President, Licensing and worked on brands such as Rawlings, Coleman, K2 and Shakespeare Fishing; with the NBA he served on the League’s business review committee approving all partner marketing and creative, and managed 108 fan products licensees as well as the league’s marketing partners promotional products - for which he was the subject of a feature article in the Sports Business Journal and USA Today; with Motown Café’s having responsibility for all non-food revenue; held buying and product development roles for Ross Dress for Less, and FAO Schwarz; and served as the Placement Assistant for agriculture and professional/technical trades desks for the Peace Corps of the United States in Washington DC.
Specialties: Robert has spoken on numerous industry panels, made appearances on Good Morning America, NBA TV, and ESPN 2ʼs Cold Pizza. He’s published articles in The Licensing Journal and served on the Board of Directors for the Licensing Industry Merchandisers Association (LIMA) where he co-chaired LIMA’s charity committee, helping to raise funds for the Children’s Brain Tumor Foundation.
Robert coauthors The Blake Project’s public brand management resource, BrandingStrategyInsider.com, one of the top 50 marketing blogs on the Internet according to Advertising Age with 45,000+ marketers visiting daily.
Robert has a BA in Liberal Arts & Modern Languages from Purdue University, having studied French, German, Arabic and business culture, and a certificate of fluency in French from the Université de Strasbourg, France.
Interesting Facts about Robert Strand
- Robert loves puns, and one day wants to write a theatrical performance about puns, which would really just be a play on words.
- Robert is working on a documentary using archival 16mm home movies dating back to the early 1920’s, and has traced his mother’s family ancestry to the 1100’s.
- Robert spent over ten years on a crew competitively racing a Soverel 33 high performance racing yacht on the Long Island Sound.
- Robert is a trained Meisner actor. The focus of the Meisner approach is for the actor to "get out of their head," such as that the actor is behaving instinctively to the surrounding environment, and where there is greater focus on the other actor as opposed to one’s internal thoughts associated to the prescribed character.
- Robert has been a mentor to students from the High School of Fashion Industries and sports marketing MBA candidates from the University of Oregon’s Warsaw Sports Marketing program.
- Robert makes his home in New York, New York.